20140529_115404

Pictured: A mold of a “gift” crafted by Soviet children during the Cold War. The plaque reads, “In 1945, Soviet school children presented a wood carving of the Great Seal of the United States to the U.S. ambassador to the Soviet Union, Averell Harriman. (This replica is molded from that carving.) The ambassador hung the seal in his office of his residency, Spaso House. During George F. Kennan’s ambassadorship in 1952, a security check discovered that the seal contained a microphone and resonant cavity. Using a specific frequency. the Soviets activated the microphone which transmitted a signal, modulated by the voices in the room, back to a nearby receiver.”

Leave a Reply